Apple’s iPhone 5 Announcements in One Handy List
Apple’s iPhone 5 keynote address has just completed.
And as we’ve done in the past for other Apple announcements, for those of you who want nothing more than what occurred today in a simple, bulleted, easy-to-read, article, you’ve come to the right place. Below is a complete list of the announcements from Apple’s iPhone 5 event:
Apple CEO Tim Cook:
- 7m copies of Mountain Lion downloaded.
- Together with MacBook Air, our notebooks rank #1 in the US in marketshare for the last 3 months.
- Last quarter sold a incredible 17m iPads.
- “Now to put this in perspective, we sold more iPads than any PC manufacturer sold of their entire lineup.”
- “This brings us to a total of 84mm units. Shocking when you think this is a category that didn’t exist two and half years ago.”
- “iPad accounts for 91% of all the web traffic from tablets. I don’t know what these other tables are doing.”
- 700k apps in the App Store.
- 250k apps tailored specifically for the iPad.
Apple Marketing head, Phil Schiller:
- New iPhone, the iPhone 5.
- Made entirely of glass and aluminum.
- 18% thinner than iPhone 4S. 7.6 millimeters.
- 20% lighter than the 4S. 112 grams.
- Retina display, 326 PPI, 1136 x 640 screen resolution.
- All software updated for new screen size.
- “But what about the App Store apps? Well here’s an app that hasn’t been updated. It runs at the same size. We center it and place black borders on either side.”
- “This is the most accurate display in the industry. The touch sensors are integrated right into the display itself. We removed a layer and made it sharper. This is the world’s most advanced display, and I couldn’t be prouder of it.”
- Added HSPA+, DC-HSDPA, and yes… LTE. There’s now a single chip for voice and data, and a single radio chip. Unique Apple advantage with a dynamic antenna.
- New Wi-Fi, 2.4ghz and 5ghz on 802.11n.
- Has an Apple A6 chip. Compared to the A5, it’s two times faster but 22% smaller.
- Battery Life - ”So, you can imagine the challenge on the battery life. But we’ve not only matched it… we’ve exceeded that of the iPhone 4S.”
- iSight Camera: 25% smaller, 8mp, backside illuminated, hybrid IR filter, f/2.4 aperture, dynamic low light mode, precision lens alignment, sapphire crystal, next gen ISP, spatial noise reduction, smart filter, better low light performance, 40% faster on photo capture.
- Shared photo streams with iOS 6 and iCloud.
- “But perhaps the most amazing new feature in the iPhone 5 is called panorama.”
- 1080p video, improved video stability, face detection — you can take photos while shooting video.
- Three microphones, bottom, front, and back. Improved speaker design, 20% smaller.
- New connector is called Lightning, 9-pin. So we have Thunderbolt and Lightning. Working on connector adapter.
- Comes in Black and White
- Same price for the iPhone 4S. $199 $299, $399.
- iPhone 3GS is gone. New lineup is iPhone 4, 4S, 5.
- September 14th is when preorders start, ships September 21
- iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, new iPad, iPad 2… upgrade for free to iOS 6 on September 19
Apple Senior Vice President of Internet Software and Services, Eddy Cue:
- New iTunes design for iOS.
- New App Store design — Facebook likes integrated in every entry.
- Available September 19.
- 200m customers using iTunes in the cloud.
- iTunes redesign: New edge-to-edge design, when you click on an album it expands in place, each album comes with a feature we call ‘in the store’ where you can see top songs and albums, New mini-player design, built iCloud right into iTunes.
- New iTunes available in late October.
Apple’s vice president of iPod, iPhone, and iOS product marketing, Greg Joswiak:
- 350m iPods sold.
- iPod Nano: 38% thinner, physical controls along the side, 2.5-inch multi-touch display, it has a home button, just like the iPhone, it comes in 7 different colors, FM tuner, video capture, fitness and pedometer capabilities built-in, bluetooth.
- iPod Touch: 6.1 millimeters thick, anodized aluminum, same 4-inch screen as iPhone 5, A5 chip, increased battery life, iSight camera in the iPod touch, autofocus and a flash, iPod Touch loop – push the circle and it pops up a loop… for a bracelet - AirPlay mirroring, 5 different colors.
- EarPods: new headphones for iOS devices, designed to direct sound into the ear, standalone accessory, begins shipping today, comes with iPhone 5, new iPod Touch, new iPod Nano.
- iPod shuffle, $49. iPod nano, $149. Keeping the 4th gen iPod touch, 16GB at $199. New iPod touch, 32GB, $299, available in October.
Apple Senior Vice President of iOS Software, Scott Forstall:
- How iPhone 5 goes with features of iOS 6.
Apple CEO Tim Cook, again:
- Ladies and gentleman, the Foo Fighters!
That’s that. Exciting stuff indeed, pre-order here. What are your favorite announcements from the list above?